Saturday, 8 December 2007

What is love?

Recently i ve been having quite some disagreements with You-Konw-Who.. It just makes me wonder some times, is it cos im the unreasonable one? The demanding one? Is he usually the victim? When i really think deeper, i tend to agree that perhaps i expect too much from him. I admit that i can be selfish at times, putting my own interest first.

I was really disappointed with myself when i came to that conclusion. It reminded me of one of the Campus Crusade camps i attended in my uni days. I learnt that instead of asking God for a kind of man i want, i should be asking God to change me to be the kind of woman my man would want me to be. Of coz i dont mean in physical sense, but in character and all. Obviously no man would want a bossy or overbearing galfren, but a caring and understanding one right?

So the question was posed back to me: Am i the kind of galfren my Tatty wants me to be?
But i hesitate. I started to think: " If i think the big L word means sacrifice and putting the other party's interest first, then why cant he put me first? Why cant he sacrifice instead?"

That, is what i call human nature. We are all selfish by nature. So what on earth is LOVE? Nah.. on earth, i seriously dont believe you can find perfect love. Perfect love only exists in the Creator. God is LOVE. He loved us so much that He sent His Son down to earth to die on the cross for our sins. Our human nature, that is. There is no one on earth who'd lay down his life for you, but God, my beloved Jesus. That's the real sacrificial and unconditional love, the agape love.

Altho we cant attain that level of love by our own efforts, the Bible did explain love.
"If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing."

Love is such an important word in our lives. Do we have that kind of love He was talking about?

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails. - 1 Cor 13:4-8

My dear friends, are you the person your life partner wants you to be? Or are you the best friend your best friend wants you to be? Are you the child your parents want you to be?

No comments: